14 Jun Covid-19 Listing & Showing Protocols: Updated June 2020
“When you can’t change the direction of the wind – adjust your sails”
-H. Jackson Brown Jr.
Only 3 months ago, we were in the midst of one of the hottest real estate markets Toronto has ever experienced and we were trending towards all-time record prices in the city. In a matter of days, things changed! The coronavirus pandemic hit and the Toronto real estate market hit an abrupt ‘pause’. In the month of April buyers retreated, sellers pushed their plans to sell out indefinitely and we were faced with much confusion and uncertainty. May’s spring awakening brought with it much optimism, as the city began carefully opening up, transaction levels began to pick up, prices recovered and all signs pointed towards a normalization in the market. With the quick turn of events in the market, came a ‘new normal’ on how many of Toronto’s Realtors conduct business on a day-to-day basis. Today, I am outlining the protocols/process I have put in place, so that I can continue to provide the exceptional service my clients expect, while looking out for the health and safety of my clients, fellow Torontonians and my family.
When selling a property, I always engage highly skilled suppliers/partners (e.g. stagers, photographers, videographers, home inspectors, etc. – my Realtor Task Force) to provide services that exceed expectations and lead to exceptional results. In these changing times, my team of Task Force members has been personally vetted by me to ensure that their protocols and processes are in-line with mine and that the safety of all parties involved in selling your home is one of our top priorities. Below is a list of protocols I have implemented in order to work together in an efficient, effective and safe manner.
- Initial videoconference my homeowner client including a walkthrough of the property (this will be recorded).
- Mark to conduct an in-person walkthrough of the property to assess decluttering, staging and repairs (if needed).
- Mark to compile a Home Value & Insights Package (HomeVIP – a customized and comprehensive evaluation and pricing report) for the property.
- Follow up videoconference to review HomeVIP.
- Sign listing agreement and covid-19 related documents – digital signing.
- Staging walkthrough and follow-up video-conference consultation with homeowner.
- Decluttering/Junk Removal (if necessary).
- Cleaning/sanitizing* prior to staging the property, conducting a home inspection and shooting photos & video.
- List property with specific showing time blocks and instructions.
- Property showings:
Mark to be in or around the property during all buyer showing time blocks.
All high touch surfaces to be wiped (soft clean) between showings.
Appointments for showings spaced accordingly to allow for brief cleaning – no overlapping showing times.
Restriction on the number of people that will attend a showing – 2 individuals plus a Realtor for a showing.
Face mask, gloves and shoe coverings (supplied by Mark) are mandatory during showings. This will be communicated to the buyer’s agent.
Small disposable garbage bin outside front door with sign for used gloves, masks and shoe coverings.
Homeowner to leave lights on, window coverings open and open all doors (including closets, 1-2 cabinets and drawers in the kitchen). Homeowner to make sure there is easy access to view storage areas throughout the house.
- Mark will run virtual open houses at appropriate and agreed upon times.
- Option for agents to schedule a virtual walkthrough by Mark as a supplementary viewing during non-showing times or if a client cannot attend.
- All offers to be submitted to listing agent by email and all offers will be presented by Mark to his client via videoconference.
- If possible, homeowner to vacate the property for the time it is listed on the market.
- If you will be staying in your home while it is listed, please leave your home during showing times.
- As always, I remind my clients to remove or lock up all valuables and medications while showings are taking place.
*Cleaning/sanitizing – this will consist of using sanitizing wipes on all high touch surfaces, including, but not limited to door handles, cabinetry knobs and handles, light switches, faucets, rails, toilet flush handles, etc.
When buying a property, I always provide my clients with the most pertinent information available before we attend a showing. As well, during these times, it is more important than ever to be vigilant when viewing properties. We want to ensure that we are efficient with our time, while still being able to view and assess all aspects of a home to make an informed decision. Below is a list of protocols I have implemented in order to view a property in an efficient, effective and safe manner with the ultimate outcome of finding you your dream home.
- Listing material review with client pre-showing.
Floor plan | Virtual Tour | Inspection (if available)
- Arrange for an in-person client showing.
Complete necessary covid-19 showing forms
- We meet in-person at the exterior of the house or condo. Unfortunately, during this time I will not be able to provide transportation for my clients.
- I will be wearing a mask and gloves during the showing (see my ’Strongly Recommend’ list below).
- Showings are conducted while maintaining proper social distancing at all times.
- Maximum 2 people to be present per showing (most properties are restricting access to children).
- I will provide hand sanitizer, face mask and gloves (if my client does not bring their own).
- All offers will be reviewed by videoconference or by phone.
- Offer signings will take place virtually using Authentisign (if the use of technology is not possible, an in-person meeting will be arranged with the necessary precautions outlined).
- Clients wear a mask and gloves for showings – this is mandatory at some properties.
- Please refrain from touching any surfaces.
- Please use time inside the property judiciously – discussions can be held in more detail after a showing.
If you’re thinking about selling and want to know what your home is worth, or if you’re a buyer looking to find a home in your favourite neighbourhood, just call or text me @ 416.274.4984 or email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) – I would be happy to schedule a meeting with you at your convenience.
Be well and stay safe.